University travel involving students is limited to:
- Students who are:
- Employees of the University
- Members of the Board of Regents
- Members of an official University committee approved by the chancellor's office traveling on University business
- Students on field trips conducted as part of an approved instructional program.
- Students who travel as representatives of the University, such as members of performing groups or teams.
- Students who have obtained proper insurance coverage.
All students traveling officially for the University beyond a ten-mile radius of the campus must be covered by a minimum of $30,000
accidental death insurance and $2,500 medical cost reimbursement insurance.
Students who do not have a minimum of $30,000 accidental death insurance and $2,500 medical cost reimbursement insurance may purchase short-term coverage at the current rate of 25 cents per day through the Benefits Office of the Department of Human Resources, 32 Canfield Administration. (472-2600). Departmental funds can be used to purchase the required accidental death insurance for students who are traveling as representatives of the University. The Benefits Office can answer specific questions about insuring students
Procedures for obtaining transportation for students on official University travel are the same as for other University travelers except that, because of the liability, the use of personally owned vehicles will not be approved.
It is important that the names of all students be shown on the Travel Authorization form (available in SAPPHIRE) or on a list attached to the TA. A roster of the student travelers, their sponsor and their travel dates and destinations must also be submitted to the Benefits Office at least one week prior to the departure date.
Funding for Student Travel
Department funds may be used to pay:
- For field trip classes: The cost of a chartered bus or rental and mileage cost of a University vehicle needed to transport the class to the site of the field trip.
- For teams or performing groups representing the University: Transportation costs for the group, food and lodging costs for the group members and necessary insurance.
Department funds may NOT be used to pay:
- Any cost incurred by or for students who are members of a field trip class or other authorized traveling group who travel apart from the group.
- Direct reimbursement to a student for any expenditure made in connection with travel, except to students who are traveling as members of the Board of Regents, as members of an official University committee approved by the chancellor's office or as employees of the University.
- Food, lodging or any cost other than group transportation incurred for or by students who are members of a field trip class.
- Any expenditure made for the transportation, feeding or lodging of students within the Lincoln city limits.