Lodging Reimbursement Policy

University travelers are expected to select reasonably priced lodging accommodations when on official business and will be requested to justify charges that appear to be excessive.

All claims for lodging reimbursement must be supported by original receipts that show:

  • The name of the hotel
  • The number of occupants
  • The goods or services for which each individual charge is made (room rental, food, tax, etc.)

Lodging expenses may be directly billed to the University, paid directly by the University or reimbursed to the Traveler according to the specific needs and capabilities of the providers. These providers may include, but are not limited to hotel chains, campgrounds/parks, Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, and similar sources that may emerge over time. Travelers are expected to book lodging that is reasonable and relevant for the specific destination, time of year and business purpose. Further justification may be required for expenses that appear to be excessive. State, government or University-contracted rates should be utilized when available. Conference rooms should be booked as far in advance as possible to take advantage of discount pricing and other benefits. If the block of conference rooms is no longer available, the Traveler may book lodging nearby at a similar, reasonable rate. Travelers attending conferences may book their lodging in accordance with the requirements of such conferences when applicable. Travelers making lodging arrangements as part of their conference registration will submit the conference agenda and proof of the respective rate when submitting the expense. The submitted lodging receipt must be itemized and show that payment was made in full to be considered for reimbursement in accordance with State of Nebraska requirements. If the Traveler chooses to share lodging with another Traveler, related expenses must be cross referenced on each Traveler’s expense claims. Only the single occupancy rate plus taxes and fees, if applicable, will be covered by the University when the Traveler shares a room with a non-University companion(s). For example, if a spouse accompanies an authorized traveler, the amount of the single occupancy rate should be noted on the receipt and the claim for reimbursement should be made for only that portion of the rental charge. The names of all authorized travelers should be noted on the receipt or Employee Expense Voucher. If one traveler pays the entire lodging, then both travelers' employee expense vouchers must be cross-referenced as the State requires.