Employee Moving Expense

Effective January 1, 1994 to be considered a move, the distance between the employee's old residence and the new job site must increase at least 50 miles over the distance between the old residence and old job site.

In general, the University will only reimburse employees for moving expenses if approved by an appropriate administrative officer. Authorization by the hiring department is required to reimburse new professional staff and current employees. For approved moves, this constitutes the general policy for payment/reimbursement of moving expenses for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

NOTE: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 requires that the University withhold income and FICA taxes on payments made to an employee, or to a third party on behalf of the employee, for all moving related expenses. The amount(s) will be reported to the payroll office and in the next payroll cycle(s) adjustments will be made to the employee's wages and withholdings, and will also be reported on the annual employee’s W-2.  Due to the tax requirement, reimbursements will not be processed until the employee is on the University payroll.

 In order to be reimbursed for any expenses under this policy, the expenses must be incurred by the employee no longer than one year from the date the employee is officially transferred to the new job site. The University will reimburse the employee on the Employee Expense Voucher.  Reimbursement requires the original receipts to be submitted within 60 days of the expense(s) being incurred.

The University has household moving contracts detailed here. These are our preferred moving companies and we believe that their use should eliminate many potential moving problems.  Payment will be made to the moving company by state warrant.

If the employee elects for a "do it yourself" move, the employee may submit an Employee Expense Voucher with receipts for reimbursement provided the expenses are within the department's guidelines. The following expenses are reimbursable: (a) air, bus, or rail tickets or mileage for one automobile; (b) rental of trucks/cars, associated fuel, trailers and moving carts; (c) packing crates, shipping/packing materials; (d) loading and unloading help; (e) parking and toll fees.

Additional reimbursable expenses include:

Pre-Move House Hunting Expenses

  • Transportation costs (by most direct route) and reasonable lodging (excluding meals) from the former residence to the new place of employment for the principal purpose of searching for a new residence.
  • A maximum of two pre-move house-hunting trips is allowed.

Moving Expenses

  • Transportation costs (by most direct route) for the employee and all family members living with the employee at the time of the move from the former to new residence. 
  • Reasonable lodging en route (excluding meals) from the former residence to the new place of employment.
  • The cost of transporting household goods and personal effects.
  • The University will only pay or reimburse expenses for the shipment of an automobile, boat, mobile home, camper, and/or trailer with the pre-approval of the hiring department.
  • Reimbursement for the cost of relocating personal vehicles from one's former home to their new residence is limited to one trip, one way, for one vehicle only. The current mileage reimbursement rate can be found here.
  • Temporary lodging for employee and family members. Reasonable expenses of occupying temporary lodging (excluding meals) at the new job location may be reimbursed for up to 30 consecutive calendar days or until permanent lodging is established, whichever is earlier.

Any questions pertaining to contracted moving services should be directed to Procurement Services at 402-472-2126.