Travel Reimbursement Quick Reference

This information is compiled from the Nebraska State Accounting Manual, University Business Travel Policy & uniform Campus Travel Guidelines and is not inclusive of all rules and policies. Refer to the NU Travel website as necessary.

Personal Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement

If you are driving a personal vehicle for University business, the following reimbursement rates apply:

2021 Reimbursement Rates

Automobile or Motorcycle Mileage Rate effective January 1, 2021 is $ .29/mile

Employee Moving Expense Mileage Rate effective January 1, 2021 is $.16/mile

2022 Reimbursement Rates

Automobile or Motorcycle Mileage Rate effective January 1, 2022 is $ .29/mile

Employee Moving Expense Mileage Rate effective January 1, 2022 is $.18/mile


Airfare - Visit the NU Travel Office website for Lodging and Transportation for information on booking airfare.

Please note: The University will reimburse employees for airline fees that are reasonable and necessary for the stated business purpose of the trip. Please itemize these expenses by date and explain any unusual or excessive charges.

Travel Status

Travel Status: When a traveler is outside of their regular or main city or town of work, or residency, or respective regular commute, while conducting or engaging in approved University business.

Departure Time: The time the traveler leaves their home or work location to begin Travel Status (e.g., leaves for airport or begins travel in vehicle).

Return Time: The time the traveler returns to their home or work location, thus ending Travel Status.

Required Receipts

Attach receipts in the Concur Expense report. Travelers who do not have access to Concur should submit receipts to Payment Services Office using the Employee Expense Voucher (paper form.)

  • Commercial Travel (airline, bus and rail)
  • Car Rental
  • Gasoline (for rental cars from a private vendor, such as Enterprise or National)
  • Lodging - Must claim single rate or provide explanation.
  • Registration Fees
  • Non-travel related supplies purchased while traveling (e.g., books, CD's, etc.)
  • Meals: Effective January 1, 2021, the University meal reimbursement is on a "per diem" basis. Meal receipts are no longer required. If traveling on a grant-funded trip, contact the Office of Sponsored Programs for receipt requirements. 
  • All other receipts are the be retained by traveler and should be available upon request.

Shared expenses - Each traveler will claim expenses individually. One is not allowed to claim expenses for another, except when a hotel room is shared.

Official Function - Include detailed, original itemized meal receipts (remove alcohol and related taxes/tips), list of attendees and meeting agenda/conference flyer.

Personal Entertainment/Services - Not an allowable reimbursable expense.

60 Day Reimbursement Deadline

Expense reimbursement requests must be submitted by the traveler in Concur no later than 60 days after the last day of travel. For guests and others submitting an employee expense voucher (paper copy), the expense reimbursement request must be received in the UNL Payment Services Office (101 Business Services Complex) no later than 60 days after the final day on which expenses were incurred.  This State of Nebraska statutory requirement (81-1174) cannot be waived. The full statute can be reviewed here

It is recommended that reimbursement requests be received in the UNL Payment Services Office within 30 calendar days from the date on which the expenses were incurred.  To assist in determining the 60 day deadline, please consult the 60 day reimbursement calendar.

Contact UNL Payment Services Office for expense reimbursement questions: 472-2881 or email.