International travel is defined as any travel outside the United States and the US possessions of Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. UNL travel policy applies to both domestic and foreign travel. The links below are meant to assist you with information specific to international travel.

All policies stated throughout the University of Nebraska's Travel Policy apply to International Travel, Pre-Trip Requests and expense reimbursement claims. Pre-Trip Requests for international destinations should be submitted for approval at least thirty (30) days in advance of departure. This allows time for the required export control review and the Traveler to be informed of and enrolled in all international support services.

Executive Memorandum No. 25

Policy on University Sponsored Travel by Students, Faculty, Staff, or Members of the General Public to Countries Under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Travel Health Notice.  Click here to read the full Executive Memorandum.

Medical, Political Security, and Natural Disaster Evacuation Coverage

The University of Nebraska has blanket international travel coverage for all faculty and staff who travel outside the country on UNL business with the correct visa. More details of the coverage can be found here.

US State Department Travel Information

Current travel warnings and alerts issued by the US Department of State can be seen here. From this page, you may also learn more about your destination(s), including: Embassies and Consulates, Destination Description, Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements, Safety and Security, Local Laws & Special Circumstances, Health, and Travel & Transportation.

U.S. citizens and nationals are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Travel Health Notices (Watch, Alert, and Warning) can be seen here.

Traveler’s health information by destination, including recommended and required vaccines and medicines, can be found here.

Foreign Currencies

When requesting reimbursement for foreign travel, all expenses must be converted to US dollars. There are three options for selecting a conversion rate:

  • Credit Card Rate - If you charged expenses on a credit card, the credit card company converts the expenses to US dollars for you. This is the most convenient and accurate method.
  • On-site Exchange Rate - If you exchanged US dollars for foreign currency while traveling, the exchange rate listed on your currency exchange receipt can be used to convert all cash expenses on the trip, regardless of daily exchange rate fluctuations during your trip.
  • Online Rate - You can use the online currency converter at

Language Translation

All foreign receipts must be translated to show items purchased. Meal receipts must detail the exact food items and beverages purchased. Receipts translated as ‘lunch’ or ‘beverage’ will not be accepted.

Export Control

Export controls are regulations designed to ensure that certain information, technology, biological and chemical agents and other sensitive items are secure and not improperly transferred to an international entity or person. When planning travel abroad, it is important to ensure that any information or items taken out of the U.S. are either not controlled; or if controlled, the proper approvals or licenses are in place. All personnel, including faculty, staff, research associates and fellows, visiting scholars, students and all other persons retained by or working at the University of Nebraska and its affiliates will comply with Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, their campus export control policy (UNK, UNL, UNMC, UNO) and all other applicable export control or sanction-related regulations. Consult your export control office for further information.

Please see the Office of Research and Economic Development webpage for international travel and research.

Passport Services

UNL faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad can find details about how to secure a passport at
The website provides all the information you need to prepare for your passport application process.

Visa Support

UNL faculty and staff traveling abroad can use the International Engagement Visa Support Webpage to find details about how to secure a visa, and enroll in the US State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).